Hi everyone. This is a picture of me relaxing. The truth is, I’m feeling a little weak from my last chemo. Mom is hand-feeding me, and I do enjoy the food. It is quite meditative to eat the food, kibble piece by kibble piece, even thought it does take a long time.
Also, mom hurt her back, and it really is hard for her to do all the things for us that she does. We hope she will be better in a few days. We might not post for a day or two.
Matilda rests nobly after a difficult three days. She seems to be on the mend after an infection hit her system hard. I’m hoping! Matilda is concerned with the huge fire out west in Colorado. She has seen a headline that reads:
Support Animals In Need 2013…Black Forest Fire
The Humane Society Pikes Peak Region is helping as much as they can. Please go to their page to help them help the animals!
Matilda’s cousins and my nieces and nephews all live in that area, and we have seen how powerful and frightening the fires there can be.
Matilda is alive and safely sleeping and being treated at Blue Pearl Veterinary Partners, the Emergency and Specialty Hospital in our area. This is the top place in NYC, in my opinion. The dog in this picture is Coco, a Great Dane who was waiting to see if her Bull Dog friend was going to be OK. She wasn’t that happy about having her picture taken, and gave me a little growl.
What is speculated regarding Matilda is that a cut on her paw, which just showed itself this morning is infected in a major way. This can happen when one’s immune system is compromised from chemo. So this cut has become an abscess, but in a somewhat complicated way. She had a cut several weeks ago that was treated, and thought to be healed. Apparently when one is undergoing chemo, something like that can continue to be a problem, even when it seems to have healed. So they have worked on the paw, and she is getting intravenous antibiotic, blood work has been done, and her high temperature has been brought down. (She was so stressed having to walk out to the taxi to get to the vet, that she began panting at a level I’ve rarely seen). She is staying overnight, and I will pick her up tomorrow night. They think that this infection could be responsible for all the symptoms she was having.
I’m hoping for good results, and that I will be able to take care of the wound properly. The vet assured me that this infection could have happened in a matter of hours. It seems daunting, since it is between her toes. Greyhounds have these very long toes with webbing in between. Matilda’s toes are very close together, and the little toes are turned in and encroaching on the other toes. It isn’t uncommon for greyhounds to have problems with their toes.
Matilda thanks everyone for the good wishes and prayers.
As I write this post, I don’t know what will be happening with Matilda later on Sunday. I am about to go to sleep, and Matilda is resting quietly, but has had a hard day. She had a recurrence of an episode of extreme panting and difficulty walking. This time I could not get her to eat, and so I cannot give her any medication for her arthritis. Last time this happened, I thought I had lost her, but she bounced back. I’m not sure what will be happening this time. She only seems to be able to walk a few steps. We will all sleep, and then I will take her to the emergency vet if she hasn’t improved.